Planning and Shaping a Whole New Adventure
Working for a couple of decades in the security and identity of a large regional firm offers numerous gifts of experience, learning, contacts, and more. But what happens when the decision is made to strike out on your own? In this episode, Heather Martin, CPA, discusses her journey through leaving a large CPA firm and the planning and implementation of steps to create a new business on her own.
Heather Martin, CPA, specializes in providing tax and business advisory services, working with both businesses and individuals for their tax return and transaction planning needs, including accounting assistance and software implementation. Her goal is to make financial information easy to understand and meaningful to the business owner overall, in order for them to make wise financial, tax, and business decisions. Industry interests include real estate and construction, manufacturing, healthcare, start-ups, individual tax planning, along with numerous others.
"You always have people you know and can call, but being sure you’re talking to the right people so you can put your own needs first at the beginning I think is important."
What You'll Learn From This Episode:
- How Heather felt about her time at the large firm and what it was like to leave after 20 years
- The main reason she made this decision
- What “client service” means to Heather and why it’s important to her
- The first and most important steps to take in planning a new business
- Whether or not marketing assistance is necessary
- What you need to consider in terms of budget and revenue
- What happened when she put herself in her clients’ shoes
- Why it is helpful to stick to your niche(s) and when to refer clients elsewhere
- How Heather has built up her client base so rapidly
- How the pandemic has impacted her business, particularly with the elderly and estate planning clients
- The specific CPA image that Heather is trying to change
- A glimpse into her expansion plans
- Fun Fact about her volunteer work with the Knoxville Opera